August 11, 2013 by stpaulhaus
For a background on what this is all about check out the other posts in this series:
Haus #4 The Duplex
- 1850 sq feet (2nd biggest we have seen)
- Listed 9k over our budget
- Craftsman style up and down duplex
- Year Built: 1915, 98 years old.
- 3 bedrooms total, 2 in the main floor unit and 1 in the upper unit
- 3 bathrooms, 1 full bath in each unit and a 3/4 bath in the semi-finished basement.
- Hardwood floors, built-ins, crown molding, window seat, and wood-burning Rumford fireplace all intact
- Quite street and close to Adrian’s work
- Large yard
- A portion of the roof needs replacing as well as couple parts of the siding
- No garage
Here is how Haus #4 looks compared to our list of wants and desires:
On budget?: Over budget by 9k
2 story single family home: Not quite. Its 2 stories but is a duplex. We have the option to live in one unit while renting out the other or keep both for ourselves. We aren’t sure how we would feel being landlords.
3 or more bedrooms: Check! 3 bedrooms total.
Main level bedroom: Check! 2 beds on the main floor
2 bathrooms: Check! with a total of 3 bathrooms.
Large yard: Check! Big yard with some nice plantings.
2 car garage: No garage but there is definitely room to build one.
Charm and character with natural wood work, molding, hardwood floors, fireplace, etc: Check! Gorgeous built-ins, crown molding, floors, Rumford fireplace 🙂
Target neighborhood: Check! Very close to Adrian’s work in a quiet neighborhood.
Beautiful, beautiful house but it doesn’t have the 2 car garage we really need and a portion of the roof needs to be fixed which is a big bummer with a house that is already 9k over budget. It is currently a functioning duplex, but we just aren’t sure if that would work well for us. No doubt we would want to turn it into a single family home at some point, but again that will take a lot of $$$ to do so. What do you think? How do you feel about The Duplex? Should we be landlords? Do you think this should be the next STP Haus?