August 7, 2013 by stpaulhaus
Haus #2 Renovated with a Workshop
- 1500 sq feet (average sized of all the house we have seen so far)
- Listed for 15k OVER our budget
- 1.5 story with a crawlspace
- Year Built: 1879, 134 years old and the oldest we have seen.
- 3 bedrooms. 2 on the main, and a 1 bedroom suite upstairs with an office/nursery area, sitting area, bathroom, large closet and a porch
- 2 bathrooms. Main level full bath and .75 upstairs that doesn’t have a shower
- 2 care garage plus a huge workshop
- Huge backyard (the largest we have seen)
- Renovated but not in a nice way. Needs quite a bit of work to bring this home back to its roots.
- No basement. Mechanicals and laundry on the the main floor. No place for storage in the house.
- Close to downtown in an up and coming neighborhood that is very walkable
- Has some structural problems, old roof, water damage, and asbestos siding under the vinyl
Back to our list of wants and must haves here is how Haus #2 checks out:
On budget?: 15k above our budget
2 story single family home: Check! sort of–has 1.5 stories
3 or more bedrooms: Check! right on
Main level bedroom: Check! 2 in fact
2 bathrooms: Check! 2 full bathrooms
Large yard: Check! HUGE yard and fenced in too.
2 car garage: Check! HUGE 2 car garage with a large workshop.
Charm and character with natural wood work, molding, hardwood floors, fireplace, etc: Not much here. All the original charm has been removed in the numerous remodels.
In one of the target neighborhoods: Check! Very close to downtown.
I really does have most of our key things we want but it has been through quite a few remodels which has left very little charm and character. I would need to rip out all of the trim in the entire home as well as put in hardwood flooring. It is also 15k over our budget which is a big bummer. This one also needs a new roof and has some water damage, as well as asbestos siding under the vinyl which would need to be abated if we wanted to reside in the future…but the location is awesome, and so is that garage and yard!
What do you think? Should Haus #2 Renovated with a Workshop be the next STP Haus?