January 31, 2013 by stpaulhaus
Wow. I can’t believe that was 10 years ago already. I now actually feel very old.
Maybe you might have seen a large, gaping hole in the floor in our dining room by the air vent in previous posts, maybe not, but here it is in close up form. Gahh. There were holes and missing floor boards all over the place when we tore out the carpet. Some of the missing areas were replaced when we had the floors refinished. We actually cut the hardwood out of the inside of the closet and used that to patch much of the floor at the time. There however was not enough to replace all the missing places. This one has been like this ever since. This picture makes it look worse than it actually is because the vent cover is not in place, but it is still a very noticeable gap.
I have been looking around for reclaimed pine boards that are the same width and color but it is very hard to come by. Must reclaimed wood is maple, some oak, and some wide pine can be found for a hefty price. I decided to just use a scrap piece of pine molding I had laying around the house.
I mixed a couple stain colors I had from other projects to find a similar color. I put on a couple layers of poly for satin shine to match the floor.
It is not a perfect match, but it gets the job done.
It was glued and nailed down in place. The nails were set and covered with wood putty.
and I put down some 1/4 round. The whole thing needs to be repainted, but it looks decent.
Suppa kewt, but I don’t want any hairs in those cabinet’s future ice cream paint job. I will hopefully have another post on the window seat after this weekend. I don’t know if I will be able to finish it with the big game this weekend, but I am going to try.
Happy Friday everyone!