September 23, 2012 by stpaulhaus
If you remember, we left-off with the dresser in a freshly stripped state.
After the Vikings win this afternoon, I headed out to the garage armed with the detail sander, extension cord, a Mountain Dew, and my iPad (for some tuneskis).
I started on the top (the easiest and must fun part), with a 80grit sandpaper. I had 2 sets of passes on the top and it came out like this:
I’m not sure what is going on with the dark and light areas. I am concerned about how it would accept stain. I ran the sander over for a 3rd pass to see if it would even out. I did even out somewhat, but there is still visible difference. I thought about possibly bleaching it, but I think I am going to through on a coat of sand and see what happens. If it looks terrible then I will just sand it back down.
You can see that I wasn’t able to reach all the nooks and crannies. I will have to go back over these places with stripper again. Even then I might not be able to get everything. Oh well, I don’t think anyone will be inspecting it that closely.
Mostly, the sanding is to remove any leftover paint/stain/varnish and take care of any surface imperfections and scratches. After sanding the furniture needs to be cleaned and all dust particals need to be removed or it will get trapped in the finish and mess it all up. I will talk about that more later.
I spent 3.5 hours sanding the top, sides, and face until I ran out of daylight and didn’t have time to get to the drawers. Sigh. Ah well. Hopefully I will get this thing completely sanded tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be nice this week which will be my motivation to finish this thing. The finish has to be put on before it gets too cold otherwise it won’t cure properly and will be a big crackly mess.
One step closer, well, half a step technically, but who’s counting.